Updated: Apr 7, 2022
WATER…You know you need it! Countless people I have trained tell me how much they know it is good for them but they just do not get enough. Whenever I struggle to change something about my habits, I always look at WHY. Without knowing your WHY then how can you possibly change? It is not because I just say so… Let us look at the WHY of water consumption and how important it is. Maybe this will get you thinking differently about it.
Why do we need water?
Water delivers the essential function to several processes in your body. Signs of dehydration include dry mouth, feeling lightheaded, feeling tired, and having dark yellow urine. This can cause a multitude of health issues that can affect everyday life, so it is important to make sure you are staying hydrated each day.
7 Reasons to drink more water:
1. Brain function decreases at the first signs of dehydration. Cognitive
function, memory, and attention can all be impaired when not drinking
2. Water is essential to keeping high energy levels as dehydration causes
a lack of oxygen flow to the heart making it work harder and causing
3. Drinking enough water can aid in weight loss by helping to keep you
satiated throughout the day. Replacing sugary drinks with water is a
great substitution to help keep calorie consumption down.
4. Skin complexion and hair health thrive off drinking lots of water! Water
helps to keep skin evenly toned, moisturized, and clear from acne while
it keeps hair looking silky and soft and protected from breakage.
5. Water helps to regulate body temperature through homeostasis. Sweat
secretion works to cool your body through evaporation, keeping you at a
comfortable temperature throughout your workout.
6. Digestion is dependent on water to break down the food we eat. It
allows your body to absorb nutrients from food as well as to help the
kidneys filter out toxins through urination.
7. Headaches can largely be caused by dehydration as our brains are
made up of about 70% water.
Tips to stay hydrated:
· Getting a reusable water bottle to carry with you is an easy way to make sure you always have water. I always bring mine in my car and at every traffic light I try to take a sip!
· Downloading a water tracking app or having a time-marked water bottle are easy ways to track your daily water consumption.
· You can also try drinking a glass of water right when you wake up in the morning to kickstart your day! I always add lemon or lime and ginger to mine!